Friday, March 29, 2013

Designer: Jolan van der Weil

"jólan van der wiel has been combining technology with natural phenomena to develop new 'tools' which he uses to create various forms. his ongoing 'gravity' project explores the physics of magnetism to pull and manipulate polarized material into functioning pieces of furniture as seen in his 'gravity' stool..."

I came across this article on Designboom. I find Wiel's quest to defy gravity intriguing. The article describes the designer's latest gravity project the Puppeteer. Upon further research, I found out more about Weil and his "gravity" stools that are mentioned in the above quote. They are what really made me interested in finding out more about his work. Luckily, Designboom had featured a video on Weil's process. I think it's one of the coolest things I've seen. I was seriously just staring at the screen the entire time. Thought it'd be fun to share with everyone!





Gravity Stool production process

Gravity Stool production process

Gravity Stool,
Photo by Peter Lipton

Gravity Stools,
Photo by Peter Lipton

No comments:

Post a Comment